3.09.2005

Bully Broads or Exceptional Women

I just finished watching a documentary on CBC about exceptional women in high ranking positions in businesses and how their ambition is often read is over-zealousness or domineering where the exact same behaviour in men is considered desirable for success. The comment was made that these exceptional women rise initially by “acting like males” in the work place with respect to aggressiveness, drive, ability to make quick decisions and get results, yet when they continue to copy these mannerisms in order to advance they are seen as “bully broads” or B******! A business in the silicone valley which runs seminars for “bully broads” was highlighted. Basically the seminars taught women to be more tactical and political in exhibiting their drive and capabilities. There was a commentator arguing that this approach was denying the entire feminist movement in that women should not have to disguise their ambition and skills in order to advance in the work place when those are the skills and qualities that are essential in effective leaders. The show also highlighted the processes companies have made to be more politically correct on paper, yet once in the workplace women still find traditional male-oriented values prevailing. Furthermore, the desire for women to aim for the top is often robbed from them from lack of role models or women to emulate.

I am pretty sure my mom thinks of me as a bully broad and I realize that I may have acted insensitively due to my ambition and drive at times in my life. This show really hit me hard and actually reduced me to tears. There were so many things running through my head creating all these emotions … First of all, the fear of working so hard to accomplish my goals, only to be crushed by the fact that I am a driven female was reignited. Kim Campbell was interviewed on the show and mentioned that women are often accepted into politics with the expectation of failure and when they do not fail it is seen as purely good luck where if men fail it is only due to bad luck. I loath the idea that I am only expected to succeed by default! Secondly, the term “bully broad” made me think about all the people I have encountered who have that most likely have that opinion of me. The fact that I fear my own immediate family has that opinion of me makes me cringe even more. I always use to profess that my way of incorporating myself into a male-dominated career is by working quietly in order to advance, similar to the tactics outlined in the “bully broad” seminars. Well, it is easy to do that in school when you are an anonymous number or there is the perception of equal opportunity but I am starting to think that that concept only seems to work well in theory. I am really questioning if it is the most effective means in order to get where I want to be while maintaining a normal level of sanity. In some sense, this approach denies the essential person I am. I have realized lately that I am not a political person willing to sacrifice my character for advancement and I am not without opinion when the system is wrong! Feminism argues that I should not have to sacrifice anything about my character in order to change people’s perception in the work place based on my gender.

7 Comments:

At 1:33 p.m., Blogger caro said...

first of all, cudos on the step into the blogosphere! It's a tough place to be at times but, like life, you make mistakes, you learn, you question your role, and you continue on or find a new path. You'll see!

As for the post, I understand your fears. Strange how the feminist movement has advanced so much that while in school we feel completely equal (as far as gender and advancement go) and we're lulled into feeling like there is no inequality along gender lines. I haven't stepped very far into the world of career but from the little that I have and the testimonials from other women in a professional field there are still a lot of obstacles to overcome. Until perhaps this year I've scoffed at the feminist movement because I never saw a problem but perhaps our generation will see some changes and affect some changes in these perceptions.

 
At 1:57 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

I'm definately not a feminist, but the movement has some good points. I actually enjoy the idea that men and women are different incarnations of the personalities of God, and that women are inevitably more emotional and gentle. But each person is different, and judging an entire gender based on preconceptions is just wrong. I don't see you as a Bully Broad at all Sally, to me you're just an outgoing chick who loves people and sets goals for herself. That's a wonderful thing!

 
At 5:21 p.m., Blogger Vailgirl said...

I was so excited to see comments so quickly after entering the blogging world! I have lots of questions about the set up of this thing, but I am sure I will figure it out over time.
Thanks too for your comments. It is nice to know my friends don't percieve me as a "bully broad" despite my many idioscyncricies (does this thing have a spell check?). Thanks for bringing in the christian perspective too crys, I find it hard to link the buisness world with christian values sometimes -- two totally different entities. Anyways,see you guys tonight.

 
At 9:27 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey cuz,

this is cool! congrats on getting your thesis in--that's awesome!

I didn't watch the CBC special, but from what I've read in your comments I just have to say that I have never thought of you as a bully broad and only as an exceptional woman and I have known you for a long time! Your mom is from different times, but I doubt if she thinks of you as a bully. John's dad once called me aggressive and that really offended me, but then I realized that what he really meant was assertive(spelling?) He is definately old school in his thinking and there are still a lot of people out there who think the same as him. The feminist movement has done a lot of good for us women, but in turn it has done some damage as well-don't you think? As we grow older though, those stereotypes will diminish hopefully and our girls won't have these stigma's attached to them if they are successful. Something to ponder-I wonder what people were saying about the exceptional women in the Bible back in the day when they were living?

Love Jen(your cousin)

 
At 9:37 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sally,

For want of making a more intelligent comment, shouldn't gender be second to calling? If you're called to be a scientist, then so be it -- God gave women brains and talent too. Why should a woman lack ambition? A desire to conform to some Victorian or 1950s stereotype? Piety and character aren't equal to conformity to some rigid worldview (if not, where is your burqa, petticoat or apron?). Wanting a job and having goals doesn't make you more like a man. It just means that's your calling.

But it's not like calling lacks a cost. Nigella Lawson, woman extraordinaire, put it nicely that a woman can do three things, only two of them well at any given time: be a mother, have a life, and have a job. So, if you're called to be a mother and a woman with a career, be prepared to sacrifice your life, etc.

So, feminism is wrong -- you can't have it all. But the same is true of us men -- we have to make sacrifices too if we want family, life or career. It's even harder if your career pulls you off somewhere difficult culturally, geographically or professionally (mine does).

p.s.: Nitpick: You spelled CGIAR wrong on your homepage (it is one of the organizations I work with in my job, btw... CIDA gives them LOTS of money every year...)

 
At 11:59 p.m., Blogger Vailgirl said...

Thanks for the spelling correction -- I don't expect it will be my last mistake on this site. It is great to get a guys opinion on this topic, I was expecting a comment on the chicken vulva. I realize that if a family does lie in my future I will have to sacrifice a lot in terms of social life or extra-curricular activities. However, I have come to realize that my life could potentially be just as fulfilling without a family of my own (although I still do long for that). Luckily my mom is so desperate for grandchildren she has somewhat agreed to be my live-in nanny if I do finally meet Mr. Right and nothing is wrong with either of our reproductive systems.

 
At 2:40 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don"t think that you are like that Sally but I haven't seen much of you lately and at this point in our lives we are not working toooo close together although I do know you very well an dyou are as sweet and dear as you ever have been....if that changed then I wuould worry....maybe a good book about some real dynamic Christian and ethical woman who have had to struggle with this could help you queast

 

Post a Comment

<< Home