2.16.2007

The last 3 days in Banladesh

Uuuughm. I just spent 45 minutes writing about our last 3 days and accidentally erased it trying to copy it! I hate computers!

In short, since my last post we have been travelling the countryside looking at lots of lentil fields and learning a lot about tropical agriculture. They North American guys in our contingent were all sick with food poisoning, but are now feeling better. I didn't get sick thanks to the tetracycline I am on for malaria. Plot tours are quite amusing here due to a strange mixture of personalities and cultures and I now feel confident diagnosing stemphyllium blight.

We had an amazing experience yesterday when we visited lentil fields in the village of Ghanna. The village had arranged a reception for us where we were showered with Marigold petals by school children while walking to a tent where we addressed about 200 farmers after having marigold necklaces put on us by the cutest little girls ever! It was incredible and is far beyond anything I ever imagined for this trip.

Today we took a day of rest and visited the Mangrove forest where unbenounced to us, we were actually the tourist attraction. I now know what celebrities feel like when avoiding the paparazzi. Blaine was even giving signatures! Luckily we were able to take a boat ride up a peaceful river where there were considerable less people than in the rest of the country. The population density of Bengladesh is completely overwhelming. Imagine 150 million people in southern Ontario. Yeah.

Here's hoping for better health and no Bengali tourist with cameras for the next few days!

1 Comments:

At 8:37 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sally,

Great to hear about your trip so far, sounds so interesting! I just got home from my tree fruit conference in Aust/NZ... I too now know the meaning of jetlag! Enjoy yourself, can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

Take care, M.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home