2.21.2007

Well Adapted*

This is the term the Bengalees used to describe me relative to the other Canadian students. There are the reasons I am 'well adapted' to Bangladesh:
-I love the food and it is causing me no grief
-I find the culture quite amusing (rather than annoying as some of the others do)
-I love warm/hot weather and much prefer it to cold
-I wear a shari (sari in Bengali) quite well (picture hopefully to come -- ran out of room on my flickr account), actually come to think of it, I did keep tripping over it so maybe I didn't wear it so well
-I have great hair in humid weather that required very little effort (although there was an Indian woman on our trip who told me the last day I needed to comb my hair but I don't think she realized that if I comb my curly hair I would have a 70s style fro)
-I am a morning person on this side of the earth. I have never been a morning person. I figured my body would adjust to circadian time, however, I think my body runs on real time.

If I didn't miss a certain someone back home so darn much, I just might have decided to stay! Although I would find the crazy driving conditions and no female/male hand shaking policy hard accept. Can you imagine how awkward it would be to try to say good bye to a bunch of men you spent the week with, some of who you got to know quite well, and not even be able to touch. Weird.

*For my non-plant breeder/geneticist readers, 'well adapted' is a commonly used plant breeding term for a genotype that grows well in a given environment

1 Comments:

At 10:20 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

shally...you are well adapted because you were raised so well...remember your roots and kepp nourished....love mom xo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home