6.25.2005

Only in Mexico

This morning I was taking a cold shower (despite paying extra money for access to hot water) and the water spontanously stopped while I was litterally covered in soap. I then knocked on my land-ladies door and said ¨no agua caliente¨. She thought I was asking if there was anyone in the bathroom (duh, I was covered in soap and wrapped in a towel). After she turned the water back on (or switched sources, I am not sure) the water came out of the tap a lovely brown colour. Fortunately the water cleared after running the shower for a few minutes. I am trying to decide what aspect of being here is more difficult, communicating with my somewhat crazy land-lady or trying to cross the street without being hit by a bus!

On a happier note, it is a beautiful day here and my spanish lessons are progressing well. People are actually understanding me when I attempt to communicate en español (except for my land-lady). I have become a regular at a few cafés and patio bars around the city, mostly in the 'Plaza Marcado' in Old Mazatlán. It is a really pretty place with a arts centre at one end where the sound of students playing instruments usually drifts out across the square. My other favourite spot is a little bar about a 10 minute walk from home. It is across the street from the Malicon (a very wide side walk basically) which runs along the ocean for 13 km. I can get a Corona there for a whole dollar.

I am now off to find a nice cool place to read my book (I am now on #6). I noticed the weather in Ontario is similar to here, so I hope everyone there is keeping cool. For those on the praries, I hope summer returns there quickly!

3 Comments:

At 10:14 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, it returns, then leaves, then returns, then quickly dissipates again... but I'm optimistic that this weekend will be awesome. The weather may be rainy but my attitude will be sunny. Why you ask? Because I get a 4 day weekend and I'm going camping, baby! And camping is fun no matter the weather.

 
At 1:14 p.m., Blogger Vailgirl said...

Camping - doesen´t seem to be a big Mexican pass-time in summer. Most likely because there is no air conditioning.

 
At 1:14 p.m., Blogger Vailgirl said...

Camping - doesen´t seem to be a big Mexican pass-time in summer. Most likely because there is no air conditioning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home