7.12.2005

Breeding Canabis spp.

I am loving the small town atomosphere of Mazatlàn. I say this because I had some unexpected company over my restaurant dinner. After eating in restaurants alone quite often over the past few weeks, it is always nice to have company. Anyways, I ran into an acquaitance at the restaurant I had decided to dine at and he was having coffee with a rather unique individual. He was a dutch-born artist who has been travelling the globe for the past 15 years (while growing his dreads past his butt), working wherever he happened to be at his trade. He had even spent some time in Saskatoon! Over the conversation, I mentioned that procrating plants was part of my life. This led to a topic my new artist friend seemed to know a lot about -- Canabis of course. By the end of the conversation I was familiar with the major breeding objectives, the regulations (or lack there of) of producing the product in Holland as well as the sexual phsiology of the Canabis plant. Unfortunately my new friend wasn´t overly familiar with disease resistance breeding in Canabis or genetic preservation within the crop. He was a little more interested in quality traits, go figure. But I was really impressed (actually thrilled) with this self-proclaimed stoner´s understanding of plant breeding in general. The conversation later was on subjects such as love, poetry and ¨living life outside society¨, but I was merely listening and trying to absorb the new-to-me philosophy ... another interesting day in Mexico.

4 Comments:

At 8:59 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Only you would have interesting accounts like that Sally. The rest of us don't lead our lives in such a magnetic way! (don't ask me what I mean by magnetic, cuz I just thought it would fit.)

 
At 2:04 p.m., Blogger caro said...

hmmmm, interesting . . . if I had met this same guy and entered into a conversation regarding cannabis it would go more like, "the government shouldn't restrict the use . . ." etc etc. Plant breeding, like all of science and its many subtopics, would never occur to me unless there was an issue about government involvement, laws regarding it, or the economic structure in which it occurs.

Of course if Crys were to have a conversation with this guy it would be more along the lines of hemp clothing perhaps or maybe the use of plant pigments for paint or dying cloth. Am I even remotely close Crys?

 
At 9:46 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Or it would go something like "where can I get this so-called cannabis?"

 
At 6:14 p.m., Blogger caro said...

oh yeah, that's a much better conversation!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home