3.28.2007

Funny Vocabulary

While I'm on the topic of vocabulary, I thought I would share a exert from the Indian Institute of Pluses Research pamphlet I was given when visiting the station. Under the heading 'Brief History', it reads:
"Before metamorphosing into its present incarnation in 1993, the Institute has started its journey as All India Coordinated Pulses Improvement ... It was later elevated as Directorate of Pluses Research ... The AICPIP was trifurcated in to three coordinated projects on chickpea ... the Institute is playing a key role in strengthening the nutritional security and sustenance of soil health."

I found it funny that such elaborate vocabulary was used within a paragraph plagued with grammatical errors, although who is the English as a first language person to point fingers. I am sure I would slaughter a paragraph in Hindi and rely quite heavily on a thesaurus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home